2011 Armchair GMs dynasty league thread
306 replies
Here we go. The Armchair GMs league is back for 2011, now as a dynasty league. We're scrapping everything from 2010 and starting anew. The scoring system and rules from 2010 largely return, but as we're moving from NFL.com to Yahoo!, there are going to be some differences, as well as some new options.
So what the hell is this?
The Armchair GMs fantasy football league. Originally set up last year as a 12 team keeper league on NFL.com, it's now being renovated and expanded as a dynasty league on Yahoo!. There are several new changes this year, including:
Divisions (2 divisions, 6 teams per, division winners get top seeding)
Tradeable draft picks
Injured reserve to stash players
Dynasty league format
Co-managers
What is a dynasty league?
Just what it sounds like: a dynasty. Your team will persist from year to year, meaning that the roster you conclude the 2011 season with will be your starting roster in the 2012 season. The fantasy draft for the 2012 season will be rookies only, rather than a redraft of every NFL player. A dynasty league requires a certain level of dedication, both to studying the incoming rookie class in each successive year, and to more fine-tuned roster management. Your dynasty team will more closely mirror the operation of a real NFL team than the standard fantasy football team.
What are the rules?
Rosters will have the following composition:
1 QB
2 WR
2 RB
1 TE
1 RB/WR/TE flex
1 DST
1 PK
7 Bench
2 Injured Reserve
16 total roster spots (+2 IR spots)
Scoring will operate as follows:
6 points: all touchdowns (passing, receiving, rushing, KR/PR, offensive fumble return, etc)
3 points: all field goals
2 points: 2 point conversion
1 point: 25 passing yards
1 point: 10 rushing yards
1 point: 1 reception (PPR)
1 point: 10 receiving yards
1 point: successful point after attempt
-2 points: interceptions
-2 points: fumbles lost
DST scoring will operate as follows:
10 points: DST allows 0 points
7 points: DST allows 1-13 points
4 points: DST allows 14-27 points
1 point: DST allows 28-35 points
0 points: DST allows 35+ points
2 points: INT, fumble recovery, safety, blocked kick
1 point: sack
Trades and waivers take one day to clear. The trade deadline is Thanksgiving. There are six playoff seeds, with the top two seeds (division winners) earning byes in the week 14 Wild Card match ups.
Holy crap! This is the greatest league since the Extraordinary Gentlemen! How do I join?
Pray for open slots. There are only 12 teams max in this league, and all of the 2010 Armchair GMs members get first crack as stated above. If there are still open slots after the returning members have had their shot, there is a waiting list of several The Phins members who are itching to join. If there are still slots available after the waiting list has been depleted, then we'll open the league to public registration.
Please be aware that a dynasty league requires more fine-grain management than a standard fantasy league. The draft operates differently, and you're stuck with your roster: Adrian Peterson and Aaron Rodgers will not be in the 2012 league draft. Trades carry long-term impact. Treat this team like a real NFL franchise would operate and you'll be fine.
So who's in this thing?
Snakes Division
Aqua4Ever04 - Aqua's Aerial Attack
Desides - Polk High Panthers
Mrs. AstroZoom - Slayer B's Champs
SICK - Mallett's 8 Ball
Trowa - It's 420 Somewhere
UCFinfan86 - Forsett in her butt
Planes Division
2k5 - 2k5
BuckeyeKing - Still hope for Luck?
DrAstroZoom - Astro's Zooms
GridIronKing34 - Nothing But The Bess
NaboCane - Las Tetas
PeaTearGriffin, Boik14 - Blount Force Trauma
When are we drafting?
Six days from now: Sunday, September 4, 9:30 PM Eastern. That's 8:30 Central, 7:30 Mountain, 6:30 Pacific. If you can't make it, you can appoint a co-manager to your team (yes, Yahoo! lets you do this now) who can draft for you. Or make use of the ranking system to ensure that you get at least some of your guys.
The teams will draft in the following order:
I hate my draft slot, you jackass. Can you change it?
No, but you can trade draft picks. You can work out deals as you wish with whoever you want. To make the trade official, post it in this thread, and have the other party/parties publicly agree to the trade. I will then update the draft order to reflect the trade.
That draft time is BS. Can you change it?
Not just no, but hell no. We had big problems last year with people influencing me to change the draft time to suit their schedules. While I understand and sympathize if you can't make the stated time, Yahoo! allows you to appoint a co-manager. Find someone you trust who can make the draft and appoint them by clicking on your team page and going to Edit Team Settings. 305, Boik14, EpicFistPump, and ether79 all want to be a part of this league. PM them and work something out. If you appoint a co-manager, please state who he is and which team he's co-managing.
Co-managers cannot make draft selections but can view and speak in the draft chat. Managers, if you trust your co-manager enough, give him your Yahoo! login/password so the co-manager can make selections with your account.
And now that the formalities are out of the way, let the smack talk begin. :up:
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
So if you come in as a new player, do you inherit a team?
"DrAstroZoom wrote:
So if you come in as a new player, do you inherit a team?
The league has been entirely reset, no one is bringing their teams over. This year's draft will be a standard PPR draft, all NFL players are eligible.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
With not that many starting spots (only 2 wrs and 1 flex) maybe you would consider making it a 14 team league? It seems like you have ALOT of interest in the league. Just in the other thread it seems you have like 5-6 people that have "dibs". Just throwing that out there since it seems like there is alot of interest
"UCFinfan86 wrote:
With not that many starting spots (only 2 wrs and 1 flex) maybe you would consider making it a 14 team league? It seems like you have ALOT of interest in the league. Just in the other thread it seems you have like 5-6 people that have "dibs". Just throwing that out there since it seems like there is alot of interest
That's possible. I won't rule out adding two extra teams if there's huge demand. But conversely, there are 7 bench spots and 2 IR spots, and free agent depth was almost nonexistent in last year's league, and we didn't have IR slots available on NFL.com.
I'm trying to strike a balance between rewarding members for being good scouts and not forcing teams to carry nobodies.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
i joined as "Mallett's 8 Ball"
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

"SICK wrote:
i joined as "Mallett's 8 Ball"
:lol: Nice.
Who's "Still hope for Luck?"
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
I didn't say anything in the other thread but if a spot opens up I would be interested
"PeaTearGriffin wrote:
I didn't say anything in the other thread but if a spot opens up I would be interested
Thats what he said
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

I'll go on the list of the people waiting on the list of reserves waiting on the list of originals...
We're all here because we're all not there.
Holla @. Didnt really have a chance to check threads yesterday....some pesky stalker named Irene forcing me to evacuate my home an all.
"305 wrote:
I'll go on the list of the people waiting on the list of reserves waiting on the list of originals...
Haha me too. Looks like a long shot but add me to the waiting list please.
Just an update for those on the waiting list: 7 slots have been filled. If that number holds, then we'll keep the league at 12 teams, with the remaining slots filled by those on the waiting list. If we begin to brush up against the 12 team limit, we'll likely expand to 14 just to ensure that some of you guys on the waiting list can fill in.
Or.
Given how the waiting list is increasing, if there's enough interest (read: commitments), I'll create a second league with the same rule set and structure. It'll be Armchair 2, basically. This way, everyone gets in on the action. We're all mature, consenting adults here, so I don't expect to have my hands full running two leagues. You all will behave yourselves… right? :shifty:
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
Just an update for those on the waiting list: 7 slots have been filled. If that number holds, then we'll keep the league at 12 teams, with the remaining slots filled by those on the waiting list. If we begin to brush up against the 12 team limit, we'll likely expand to 14 just to ensure that some of you guys on the waiting list can fill in.
Or.
Given how the waiting list is increasing, if there's enough interest (read: commitments), I'll create a second league with the same rule set and structure. It'll be Armchair 2, basically. This way, everyone gets in on the action. We're all mature, consenting adults here, so I don't expect to have my hands full running two leagues. You all will behave yourselves… right? :shifty:
Zoom likes to drink. And he likes to beat people. Bad combination.... just saying.
Could we please be notified of draft order at least a week in advance?


And can we trade picks? I'm having trouble finding ways to prepare for this. I just know during the draft I'm going to forget about people I really want.
"Trowa wrote:
Could we please be notified of draft order at least a week in advance?
That would be the idea, but it depends on how quickly we fill the league up. As soon as we're full, I'll generate the draft order list.
"2k5 wrote:
And can we trade picks? I'm having trouble finding ways to prepare for this. I just know during the draft I'm going to forget about people I really want.
You can trade 2012 picks, including I believe picks for players and vice versa. You can't trade picks in this year's draft. Yahoo! doesn't allow trading 2011 picks, as far as I can tell.
As for getting the players you want, I would write down a list of guys you absolutely want on your team and research their ADP in PPR leagues. You can also come up with tiered player rankings and just draft by tier instead of by player. Draft preparation is part of the fantasy football fun, IMO.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
That would be the idea, but it depends on how quickly we fill the league up. As soon as we're full, I'll generate the draft order list.
You can trade 2012 picks, including I believe picks for players and vice versa. You can't trade picks in this year's draft. Yahoo! doesn't allow trading 2011 picks, as far as I can tell.
As for getting the players you want, I would write down a list of guys you absolutely want on your team and research their ADP in PPR leagues. You can also come up with tiered player rankings and just draft by tier instead of by player. Draft preparation is part of the fantasy football fun, IMO.
Having never done a dynasty league though, it's hard a little hard to judge where players will go though I think.
"2k5 wrote:
Having never done a dynasty league though, it's hard a little hard to judge where players will go though I think.
True, but it shouldn't affect things that much. For purposes of this year, this is a pretty standard PPR league. The dynasty aspect will kick in next season, when the draft is rookies-only.
How you prepare is up to you though.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

